Fire Code FAQ

When do I need to replace my smoke alarm?

Smoke alarms that are 10 years old are near the end of their service life and should be replaced. Some people think that their smoke alarm sits idle until smoke is present. But it is working every minute, constantly monitoring the air 24 hours a day. For example, an ionization smoke alarm goes through 3.5 million monitoring cycles in 10 years. In a photoelectric smoke alarm, a light operates 24 hours a day to check for smoke particles in the air.

Just like any electrical appliance, the components of smoke alarms wear out over time. When a smoke alarm reaches 10 years of use, the potential of failing to detect a fire increases substantially. Replacing them after 10 years reduces the likelihood of failure.

My smoke alarms are wired into my electrical system. Do I need to replace them as often as battery-operated alarms?

Yes. Both the hard-wired and battery-operated alarms are equally affected by age.

Does the Hazelwood Fire Department require building permits?

Yes. All building permits are applied for through the Department of Public Works at City Hall.

Does the Hazelwood Fire Department require a permit for bonfires?

Yes. The Fire Department does grant permits for a controlled fire on the ground in the designated area with the following provisions:

  • The site is more than 15 feet from any structure.
  • Adequate extinguishing material and equipment is available on site.
  • The ground for 15 feet around the fire is cleared of leaves, straw, debris and other combustibles.
  • The fire must be kept to an approximate size of no more than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high.
  • The fire must be supervised by an adult at all times.
  • The fire must be completely extinguished at the end of the event.
  • If change in date notify this office immediately.
  • Painted, creosoted, wolmanized or otherwise treated wood cannot be used to fuel the fire.
  • The fire cannot be used to dispose of food or rubbish waste.
  • If smoke, ash or particulate matter from any recreational fire remains visible beyond the property line of origin, or found on surfaces beyond the property line of origin, it shall be a violation of Missouri Air Pollution ‘Control Rule 10 CSR 10 – 6.170 “Restriction of Particulate matter to the Ambient air beyond the premises of Origin.” Such an occurrence can result in the issuance of a Notice of Violation from St. Louis County Department of Health to the violator. Any violation of the Missouri Air Pollution Control Rules can result in a fine from the State of Missouri
A permit letter is issued from the Deputy Fire Marshal’s office. Request must be made in writing. Copies of permit letter are sent to the police department for their information.

Hazelwood Photo Contest