In addition, City officials have been overwhelmed and appreciative of the countless number of phone calls they have received from individuals and faith-based volunteer organizations offering disaster relief assistance to their citizens.
To better coordinate these efforts, Hazelwood is partnering with the United Way and its 2-1-1 Disaster Response Program. United Way 2-1-1 is a resource and information hub that connects people with over 4,000 agencies providing more than 30,000 services across Missouri and Southwest Illinois. It is a free, 24/7 confidential phone service and searchable online database with TDD/TTY and multi-lingual capabilities.
“We are asking our residents who were affected by the tornado storm to call ‘2-1-1’ to register their needs,” Hazelwood Mayor Matthew Robinson said. “This information will be used to create a database so they can be matched up with local resources to meet those needs.”
By dialing 2-1-1, people are linked to live, highly-trained Client Service Representatives (CSRs) who can help guide them through their situations by assessing and matching their needs to resources available in the community. This assistance is confidential and offered in more than 150 languages. Some of the 2-1-1 services that CSRs can match residents up to include the following: disaster-related home repair; debris removal; cleaning supplies/disaster kits; personal hygiene items; clothing/furniture; food pantries and other feeding services; health services; donation sites; thrift stores; rumor control; and government resources.
Individuals or groups of volunteers who want to help Hazelwood residents are encouraged to call 2-1-1 or go to www.211Helps.org to register and have their names/organizations entered in the database so they can be matched up with residents’ needs. Click here to view a United Way 2-1-1 brochure.
Electrical Power Being Restored
Mayor Robinson also wants residents to know that Ameren Missouri has restored about 80 percent of the power in the Hazelwood area. A majority of the remaining 20 percent is in the hot zone disaster area, which is where most of the damaged and hardest hit homes are located. Safety is a top priority with Ameren, but the company is working as quickly as it can to restore electrical power to all local residents.
Red Cross Relief Shelter – Civic Center East
The City of Hazelwood has partnered with the American Red Cross in setting up a Relief Shelter at Civic Center East, 8969 Dunn Road, which is one of the two recreation centers operated by Hazelwood. The phone number is (314) 839-5575. It is equipped with food service and enough cots and blankets to accommodate 100 people. Those who are still without electricity and need a warm space to stay at night are encouraged to use this resource. Also, the Humane Society of Missouri has set up operations in a back lot at Civic Center East. Residents can board their pets there for up to 10 days. For more information, contact the Humane Society at (314) 647-4400.
Placement of Dumpsters
Dumpsters provided by Allied Waste Service will be located within certain areas of the hot zone disaster area. Please DO NOT put yard waste or garbage in them. Some of the locations where you might find one include the following:
- On Monte Drive between two houses on this street
- The 900 blocks of Lynn Haven, Holiday, and Townhouse
- In the area of 1051/1053 Woodcrest Lane
- Christina Marie Ct. (close to damaged homes)
- Howdershell Park parking lot (6800 Howdershell Road)
These dumpsters will be put in place for the weekend and be removed on Mon., April 15. Call 2-1-1 to confirm which ones are closest to you.
Hazelwood Baptist Church – Dinner Served 2 Nights/Disaster Relief
The Hazelwood Baptist Church, in coordination with the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Association, is offering two sit-down dinners for Fri., April 12, and Sat., April 13. These meals are being offered free of charge. The church is located at 6161 Howdershell Road in Hazelwood. Phone number is (314) 731–2244. Spaghetti will be served tonight with chicken planned for Saturday. Serving lines open at 5:30 p.m. Church officials intend to make this a place of refuge for anyone without power who needs a good warm meal, a place to shower and relax.
The Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Association also has three (3) tree-trimming crews and six (6) disaster assessment teams available for residents who need these services. They will come and remove trees free of charge. Additionally, they have 84 blue tarps (25’x20′) that can cover the tops of homes where the roof has blown off to protect valuables inside. Contact MO Director Dwayne Carter at (573) 586-9929.