The Office of Professional Standards is coordinated by the Assistant Chief of Police (Major) and one police officer. The unit is responsible for the following functions:
- Accreditation - Ensures the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies standards applicable to the department are implemented and followed to allow the department to gain and maintain national accreditation status.
- Policy and Guides - Facilitates the development, content and formatting of all Department policies and operational guidelines.
- Purchasing - Conducts all departmental purchasing of uniforms, equipment and items in accordance with department and city purchasing guidelines and City ordinances.
- Uniform Crime Reporting - Reviews all police reports to ensure compliance with the State and Federal Uniform Crime Reporting and ensures reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Sunshine Law (FOIA) Record Requests - If you are requesting review or copies of any police record with public access, please click here and complete the form. All forms must be submitted to the Hazelwood Police Department for review either by mail, email to the Director of Professional Standards, or in person with our records department.
The Office of Professional Standards also encompasses the additional duties of overseeing:
Internal Affairs: Responsible for receiving and filing all complaints filed against members of the Police Department. All complaints are referred to the appropriate Group Manager for investigation.
Jail/Court Bailiff Procedures: Under the guidance of the Manager of the Support Group, this unit is responsible for the operation of the City’s Jail, to include upkeep of required prisoner records and unit manual. Maintain the city’s jail standards in accordance with the municipal standards as outlined by the American Jail Association and state and federal laws. Ensure the Municipal Revised 2/2018 Court has adequate security and the safe transfer of prisoners.