It is important that everyone take steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19, especially to protect those who are vulnerable. Steps you take to prevent spread of flu and the common cold will also help prevent coronavirus.
These steps are:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating and after eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Be sure to dry your hands completely.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Keep unwashed hands away from your face, nose, and eyes.
- Stay away from people who are ill.
- Stay home while you are sick and avoid close contact with others.
- When you sneeze or cough, cover your cough or sneeze with your sleeve or a tissue; then, throw away the tissue.
- Follow advice from your health care provider.
- Clean commonly touched surfaces regularly. Follow the CDC’s guidance on cleaning surfaces: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/cleaning-disinfection.html
- Stay informed on the latest updates through trusted sources only.
The CDC continues to stress concerns with international travel. Currently CDC recommends avoiding non-essential travel to China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy. Travel to Japan is a concern for older adults or those with chronic medical conditions. See wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel for the latest travel guidance from the CDC.